Friday, December 11, 2009

The Only Constant is Change

If there's one thing that's true about radio, it's that you seldom get to say goodbye. For instance, in my life I've worked at seven stations and never been given the chance to do a last show. Management just doesn't like the “final show” idea.

That is why AccuRadio, Inc., the company behind ChiTownSmoothJazz.com, is a business unlike any other I've encountered in my career in broadcasting, and it's entirely in a good way. Take, for example, the fact that they're allowing me the chance to put up this final blog, knowing it's my opportunity to say goodbye.

Recently, I received an offer to program and host the midday show on WLFM 87.7, the over-the-air radio station which replaced WNUA 95.5 as Chicago's Smooth Jazz station this past May. The opportunity was, quite simply, too good to pass up.

My voice and name will slowly disappear from this site over the next few weeks. However, because of a unique arrangement between my current and future bosses, I will continue to work on the music at ChiTownSmoothJazz. I will still be here but behind the scenes, making sure the music remains true to our original vision for the site when it was launched this past June. ChiTownSmoothJazz.com isn't going away. And, of course, Danae Alexander will continue to be the familiar, welcoming voice that invites you into just about every channel here.

Last but definitely not least, I would like to express my sincerest gratitude to every listener who's discovered us during the past six months. The support and encouragement Kurt Hanson, President of Accuradio, and I received along the way were remarkable and indicated to us that we were doing something right. You made the entire endeavor worthwhile. The countless emails, phone calls and comments in they take each one seriously.

Thank you for listening. To you and your family, we wish you all the blessings of a wonderful holiday season.

Rick O'Dell

Operations Manager – Smooth Jazz

Rick@accuradio.com

3 Commets:

Old Lutheran said...

I just found you and Danae moved to this web site and you are gone. I loved and lived with WNUA for all the years it existed. I moved to Rockford in 2006 and could only listen to WNUA online and then it was gone. Rockford is a vast wasteland when it comes to Jazz on the radio. Thank you for this web site.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Rick! It will be great to hear you on my radio again. You and Danae have done a wonderful job and now just her fingers will be working like mad with all the great communication you two have started with your public. I think that's my favorite part of the website...feeling just a little bit more like family. Best of luck and wishes to you.

Maddie said...

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you about a broken link on your site. Please email me back and I would be happy to point them out to you.

Thanks!

Madison
maddie0147@gmail.com

Post a Comment

  ©Chitown Smooth Jazz. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO